Family History Social Study Activity
This curriculum enrichment activity is an opportunity to “light a fire” within pupils by encouraging them to develop an interest in social and family history.
A Tree Without Roots Programme
This enrichment opportunity encourages students to
- make a human connection across time
- make links with their present and past events
- think about why people migrate
- young people to value each other’s unique histories
Students like to hear me talk about my search for my family tree, ie
- What triggered my interest in family history
- My journey
- What I found out about my family tree
- My family’s migration down through the generations
- How family history triggered my love of learning about the past
- Why I became an author
- I share information about unique challenges faced tracing my ancestors back 200 years, from London, through Jamaica to West Africa.
- Discussion about how I overcame the challenge of finding my roots.
I share interesting facts about what I discovered about my African ancestors enslaved in Jamaica my family migration in the decades following the end of slavery